Game Design!

Game Design!

I never really understood how Games were made or how much work goes into

Progress of Game Design
making them, since I don’t really play games but after reading the articles I was assigned to read, I realised there was so much more to Game Design than what I thought there was. I gained an appreciation for it like I do for Art History, since the making of a game is an art in a way.


Our Professor, Shaun,  provided us with many articles regarding Games/ Game Design.


The first of them being What is a game? (by Ian Schreiber)

 

As I started to read and analyse the article, I quickly understood that it wasn’t as easy as just googling the definition of a ‘game’, which according to Google the definition of a game is ‘an activity that one engages in for amusement or fun’, which made me laugh because I spent so long reading different articles on the definition of a game to read what Google’s literal definition was


Although there is a definition for a game given by Ian, there are many other conflicting definitions that are proposed by people with a lot more experience in game design.


After reading the many definitions proposed by different game designers. I

Behind The Scenes

had to agree with the definition proposed by David Parlett, “ A game has “ends and means”: an objective, an outcome, and a set of rules to get there”. This definition makes the most logical sense to me whilst not going too deep into the game industry. I believe a definition should not involve examples to accompany its argument as this can be quite confusing to new game designers. I saw that many definitions required an example of a game to make sense.


As I read the articles provided I noticed that many games have a pattern that they all follow:


  • Games have specific rules and or instructions 

  • Games have activity 

  • Games have a goal (that are to be accomplished)

  • Games involve decision making

  • Games are a means of escapism.


These are just some of the common ones that stood out for me, they are very straightforward and which I believe every game should have.


As I read “So you’re going to make a game For the very first time?” By Lewis Pulsipher Pulisher. 


The article assured me some of what I was already expecting when making my first game. One of them being that “well-developed programming skills” are crucial in making a game, and without it can be detrimental in making a relevant game.


Another being that your first game should likely be an inspiration from an already existing game, as I researched

Gaming
many different articles, many developers recommended it for beginners as it is a stepping stone in developing your skills and confidence in the gaming industry. I realised that making a game similar to one that already exists will help me learn new design and technical skills, that will most definitely come to use in creating games in the future.

Upon reading Pulisher’s article, I learned that I should  “Focus on the gameplay not on the appearance (or the story) of the game”. As I am developing a “Prototype”. This way I am developing my programming skills rather than side tracking on design and other aspects of the game. The main goal of the game is to make it work before anything else!

Thats it for today! Thank you for reading my blog post!πŸ˜†






Comments

  1. Hi Lougein, nice to see you. I am excited to read your blog post. I totally agreed with your thought- "Focus on the gameplay not on the appearance of the game", its a good point. Hope to see your game soon. Good Luck! Lougein ,could you please change the font size, its a slightly hard to read, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lougein, it's me again hahaha you summarized the articles really well and you break down the key points of Game design so well. It's also good to focus more on the content and gameplay of the of your game than the appearance because we're only making it for the first time. I hope you will do well and achieve your goals for your game!

    Also the font size you use is a bit small making it hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lougein, its great to be back reading your blog. I have to say you pretty much summarised the articles very well and it was nice and easy to read, besides the font size being slightly too small for me. I like your idea on being more focused on the gameplay of the game, not that actual appearance. I agree on this and feel like the appearance can always come next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lougein, Nice blog on game design, Its cool seeing how other people see a game, I never really deeped games when playing them, but now that I am working on my own, I understand the hard work and effort that goes into them. Which is why we should never take games for granted and have an open mind when exploring new games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lougein just read your blog post there and it was great, Well done. You really summarised the blog articles really great, I love your blog layout its great!
    I agree gameplay in my opinion is much more important than the appearance of physical game.
    Best of luck this semester, hope all goes well with you and your game.
    -mia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction!

Prototype!