Growth Mindset!

Growth Mindset!

Today I will be discussing the importance of feedback, and

Growth Mindset
one's attitude towards negative or critical feedback. Whilst also discussing the dangers of positive feedback. As my lecturer says, we have been programmed over the years to be ”punished for mistakes” in school. We have been taught from a very young age to almost not take feedback in a positive light, which I personally believe is ridiculous. I mean how are you meant to grow if you can't make mistakes? How can you keep someone accountable for mistakes he/she has done in the past?


Upon reading A fixed mindset could be holding you back — here's how to change it by Anna Kelsey Sugg and Ann Arnold. I found myself agreeing with many things that was written in the article, Anna discusses how overly praising someone can actually make a person ”brittle and fragile” I find this to be very true. As I have encountered many different individuals during my time in school, I found that many people find it almost impossible to take negative feedback as almost to say it is offensive to them. I find it very disheartening as I believe there should be a right balance of praise and critical feedback, this can be a major factor in building ones character.



I have also read ”Why rejection hurts so much — and what to do about it” by Guy Winch. I found myself relating to this article a lot as I myself have faced many rejections in life. Whether it be with friends or family or teachers and university, I believe rejection is one feeling that almost if not all of us have experienced. I especially related a lot when Winch describes the pain of rejection ”absolutely paralyzing” there is nothing that can be compared to that feeling, rejection humbles you and in many ways teaches you essential lessons that cannot be taught elsewhere. I found the tips given by Winch quite useful and some that I had developed naturally over the years. The one tip that Winch discusses that got me through a lot of rejections is ”Have zero tolerance for self criticism”, as tempting it can be to reflect on your failures, you have to say NO. Instead of kicking yourself when you are down already, why not remind yourself how much resilience you have dealing with these rejections. All in all I found these articles quite insightful and inspiring.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction!

Game Design!

Prototype!