Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset!

In this blog post I will be talking about Growth Mindset, a topic I was never really educated about.
Before this assignment I had never heard of Carol Dweck or even growth mindset, but I'm glad I will be able to learn about it through this module. 

And before I talk about what I learned from the research,
that I haven't done yet, I 
will write a few bullet points 
about what I THINK this topic   
Develop a growth 
mindset

will be about:
  • Openmindness
  • Broadening your horizon
  • Expanding mental capabilities
  • Dealing with problems through a new perspective
  • Learning how to better yourself with a healthier mindset of 
  • "I can" rather than "I might"

 

After encountering Carol Dweck, I found her quite interesting and insightful. The tools that she has helped me discover have made me rethink my perspectives in a new light. Carol explains how powerful the mindset is, it can affect your intelligence, self esteem and your learning curve. Carol stated that upon conducting various slapping experiments on children, she concluded that ”the power of yet they were gripped by the tyranny of now”. She concluded that praising the process of learning and struggling taught resilience and to overcome problems. This encouraged the children to step outside their comfort zone, and get comfortable being uncomfortable. 


She teaches that the rewarding process is better than rewarding “talent and intelligence” as this can make them vulnerable, and even compare themselves to others which can be a massive problem to one's self esteem. 


I have learned that one can change their growth mindset, however they like and whilst doing so they can implement many different parts of their lives. I believe I can implement these techniques in my life, I can reward myself with the process I have completed on a specific task rather than when I have actually completed the task, like I would normally. This would enforce a sense of motivation whilst allowing me to get comfortable being outside of my comfort zone, in result forcing growth.


I am mostly excited about The Growth Mindset class, I’m yearning to learn how else I can develop as a creative digital media student as well as an individual. The psychology of thought and responding to external negative output is truly fascinating, and which I would love to explore more of. A class that I am not looking forward to would be web design, as I am not very comfortable with it just yet, it is something that I have struggled with, in the past. Growth mindset is something that I look forward to using whilst tackling challenges in that specific module.
I feel like I have written an essay rather than a blog post but it was really enjoyable! Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction!

Game Design!

Prototype!